As a community centered newsroom, your feedback helps us measure our impact and effectiveness. Please take a few minutes to respond to our annual survey. Thank you!
El Paso school children are on spring break this week. The city’s Department of Public Health has ordered that no children be allowed to return to school until at least April 6.
Children and school employees who have traveled outside the El Paso region will not be allowed in school until 14 days after their return, and they must show no symptoms of illness.
Area school districts are offering free breakfasts and lunches beginning March 23. El Paso Matters will update this list as we get more information. If you have information on programs to feed children while their out of school, email email@example.com.
Also, the YWCA is offering camps for students affected by school closures. See details below.
El Paso Independent School District
Breakfast will be served from 8 to 9 a.m. and lunch from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. weekdays beginning March 23. All meals are take-home only. There will be no dining in the cafeterias.
Meals are for all children ages 1 to 18 regardless of their enrollment status with the district. Meals will be served at the following schools:
- Bowie High, 801 S. San Marcial
- Chapin High, 7000 Dyer
- Andress High, 5400 Sun Valley
- Franklin High, 900 N. Resler
- Irvin High, 9465 Roanoke
- El Paso High, 800 E. Schuster
- Henderson Middle, 5505 Robert Alva
- Morehead Middle, 5625 Confetti
- MacArthur Intermediate, 8101 Whitus
- Armendariz Middle, 2231 Arizona
- Ross Middle, 6101 Hughey
- Bassett Middle, 4400 Elm
- Terrace Hills Middle, 4835 Blossom
- Guillen Middle, 900 S. Cotton
- Roberts Elementary, 341 Thorn
- Coldwell Elementary, 4101 Altura
- Lee Elementary, 7710 Pandora
- Stanton Elementary, 5414 Hondo Pass
- Tom Lea Elementary, 4851Marcus Uribe
- Putnam Elementary, 6508 Fiesta
- Hillside Elementary, 4500 Clifton
- Hawkins Elementary, 5816 Stephenson
- Barron Elementary, 11155 Whitey Ford
- Bonham Elementary,7024 Cielo Vista
- Brown Middle, 7820 Helen of Troy
- Clardy Elementary, 5508 Delta
- Cooley Elementary, 107 N. Collingsworth
- Guerrero Elementary, 7530 Lakehurst
- Herrera Elementary, 350 Coates
- Mesita ECDC, 220 Lawton
- Moreno Elementary, 2300 San Diego
- Park Elementary, 3601 Edgar Park
- Rivera Elementary, 6445 Escondido
- Ross Middle, 6101 Hughey
- Whitaker Elementary, 4700 Rutherford
- Wiggs Middle, 1300 Circle
- Aoy Elementary, 901 S. Campbell
- Austin High, 3500 Memphis
- Canyon Hills Middle, 8930 Eclipse
- Charles Middle, 4909 Trojan
- Crockett Elementary, 3200 Wheeling
- Fannin Elementary, 5425 Salem
- Green Elementary, 5430 Buckley
- Kohlberg Elementary, 1445 Nardo Goodman
- Logan Elementary, 3200 Ellerthorpe
- Magoffin Middle, 4931 Hercules
- Nixon Elementary, 11141 Loma Roja
- Rusk Elementary, 3601 N. Copia
- Travis Elementary, 5000 N. Stevens
- Zach White Elementary, 4256 Roxbury
Socorro Independent School District
Socorro ISD will provide breakfast and lunch service March 24-27 and March 30-April 3. The meals will be made available at all district schools to pick up and take home.
The weekday service will be available from 8 to 9 a.m. for breakfast and 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. for lunch at all elementary, K-8, middle and high schools in the district. Service will be available via a drive-through or walk-up process. Meals will be provided for children who walk up to pick-up their meals or who are in the vehicles in the drive-through line.
Meals will be provided for all children 18 years old or under in a household, regardless of where they reside or income qualifications.
Food services are traditionally not offered during the second week of spring intersession, which this year is March 16-20. March 23 also was scheduled as a staff development day, so food service will not be available this day. District staff will use this day to prepare for service the following days.
Ysleta Independent School District
During the week of March 23-27, 2020, 10 Ysleta ISD schools will continue to offer weekday breakfast and lunch meals to school-aged children between ages 1-18 on a drive-by basis. Vehicles will be allowed to pull up to the following participating campuses and receive breakfast (served from 7:30-8:30 a.m.) or lunch meals (11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.) for school-aged passengers inside the vehicle:
- Bel Air Middle School
- Del Valle Middle School
- Parkland Middle School
- Bel Air High School
- Del Valle High School
- Ysleta High School
- Riverside High School
- Hanks High School
- Eastwood High School
- Parkland High School
- Constance Hulbert Elementary School
- R.E.L. Washington Elementary School
- Desertaire Elementary School
- Capistrano Elementary School
Canutillo Independent School District
Free breakfast and lunch will be provided to any children between ages 1 and 18. Breakfast will be served from 7 to 9 a.m. and lunch from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on weekdays beginning March 23. The meals will be served at the following schools:
- Canutillo High School
- Bill Childress Elementary
- Garcia Elementary
- Canutillo Elementary
Clint Independent School District
District officials are currently working on a learning plan and a meal service distribution plan. Those plans and details will be communicated to parents and posted on the District website, www.clintweb.net as soon as they become available.
San Elizario Independent School District
The district will provide free breakfast and lunch March 23 through April 3 at Garcia Enriquez Middle School, 12280 Socorro Road. Breakfast will be provided from 8 to 9 a.m. and lunch from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
San Elizario ISD also will distribute instructional materials at each of the district’s six campuses from 7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. March 23 and 24.
Fabens Independent School District
Breakfast and lunch will be provided March 23-27 and March 30-April 3 to all children 18 and younger. Meals can be picked up at the Fabens High School cafeteria, 601 NE “G” Avenue in Fabens. Breakfast is from 7:30 to 9 a.m.; lunch from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Tornillo Independent School District
Breakfast and lunch will be available for curbside pickup weekdays March 23-April 3 at Tornillo High School. Breakfast is available 8-9 a.m. and lunch 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
Anthony Independent School District
Breakfast (8-9:30 a.m.) and lunch (11 a.m. to 1 p.m.) will be available in middle school/high school cafeteria.
IDEA Public Schools
IDEA is providing breakfast and lunch for IDEA students, families and staff who need food at all schools, beginning March 23.
YWCA El Paso del Norte Region will offer extended-hours camps for students affected by school district closures. Locations are below and hours will be 6:30 am to 7:30 pm. YWCA will be following the American Academy of Pediatrics pandemic guidelines which can be found at aap.org.
“While schools are closed, parents and families must work,” said Sylvia Acosta, Ph.D., CEO of YWCA. “We are following city, CDC, and the American Academy of Pediatrics guidelines to provide a safe, engaging, and constructive environment for students impacted by these closures.”
To enroll, parents can call one of these locations:
West Side: 313 Bartlett, 915-519-0108
Central: 1600 Brown St., 915-519-0107
Northeast: EPCC Transmountain Campus, 9570 Gateway North, 915-831-5832
East: 10712 Sam Snead, 915-519-0106
115 N. Davis, 915-519-0105
EPCC Valle Verde, 919 Hunter Dr., 915-931-2123