El Paso Matters is seeking a higher education reporter to join our diverse and innovative team of journalists covering the El Paso border region.
This reporting position — a one-year position that we hope to be able to extend — is made possible through a partnership with Open Campus, a national nonprofit news organization that’s creating a network of local reporters dedicated to covering higher education. The reporter will work with experienced editors at El Paso Matters and Open Campus.
Higher education is one of the El Paso region’s most important news topics, and one of the most under-reported. El Paso and neighboring Las Cruces, New Mexico, are home to two research universities, two community college systems, two medical schools and several private colleges and technical schools. These institutions play a huge role in shaping the economy, culture and future of our region.
We’re looking for:
- A reporter with three or more years’ experience. Fluency in English and Spanish is preferred.
- Experience covering higher education is a plus, but not required. However, we’d like to see a track record of building a beat and producing enterprise journalism focused on accountability and elevating people’s stories.
- Someone who can work independently under deadline and juggle a variety of assignments, from short- and medium-term enterprise to more substantial signature projects.
- Experience working with data is preferred but not required.
- Strong collaboration skills are crucial.
El Paso Matters is a nonprofit, nonpartisan news site that focuses on in-depth and investigative coverage of the El Paso-Las Cruces-Ciudad Juárez border region. We began publishing in February 2020 and were recently named one of four finalists for the Online News Association’s General Excellence in Online Journalism Award for micro news sites. We offer competitive salaries and benefits.
El Paso Matters is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
If you’re interested in this position, send a resume and cover letter to El Paso Matters CEO Robert Moore, email@example.com.